Creamy Orange-Cherry Oatmeal
This delicious dish is rich in the omega-3 fat DHA, vitamin C, vitamin E, folate, and zinc.
- 1½ cups milk or milk substitute
- 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice concentrate
- 1 Tbsp. chopped pecans (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk/milk substitute and cherries over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. When simmering, add oats. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until oats are cooked and liquid is absorbed approximately 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add orange juice concentrate and stir thoroughly. Pour into bowls and sprinkle with nuts if desired. TIP Maximize the vitamin C content by adding the orange juice at the very end, after cooking. This oatmeal is so sweet, you won’t even need sugar!