- Download the Amsler grid and instructions.
- Read articles on macular degeneration written by experts.
- Learn more about macular degeneration.
- View an infographic about macular degeneration. (English | Spanish)
- Explore the innovative macular degeneration research that BrightFocus funds worldwide.
Narrator: An Amsler grid is a simple at home test us to monitor vision. This test is used to assess the macula, the center of the retina, responsible for detailed central vision.
The Amsler grid consists of evenly spaced horizontal and vertical lines printed on white paper.
A small dot is located in the center of the grid for fixation. While staring at the dot one eye at a time the patient looks for wavy lines and missing areas on the grid.
Upon noticing any distortions or missing areas on the grid’s surface an appointment should be made immediately to discuss these changes with an eye care professional. It is also important to remember that this test should not replace regularly scheduled visits with an eye doctor.