Insights on Glaucoma (text-only version)
A new survey of eye doctors and patients with glaucoma* reveals there's more than meets the eye.
- Patients know that glaucoma may cause blindness...even though 3 in 4 are concerned they will lose some of their vision due to glaucoma.
- Approximately 40% consider glaucoma to be somewhat or not very serious.
Glaucoma impacts patients on a personal level.
85% worry about lifestyle changes like:
- No more driving
- Losing independence
67% worry about missing out on everyday moments:
- Doing things they love
- Enjoying time with loved ones
Treatments leave patients feeling left behind.
Patients should take control of their glaucoma and request a treatment that fits their lifestyle.
- 3 in 5 feel stuck with current glaucoma treatment options while new options for other diseases have been introduced
- 2 in 3 changed their lifestyle because of their eye drops
Eye doctors want their patients to:
- Take medicines as prescribed [89% agree]
- Tell them when struggling with medication [79% agree]
- Ask for more direction about how to take treatment [77% agree]
BrightFocus thanks Allergan, an AbbVie Company, for these materials in support of our patient education efforts.
*In 2019, an online survey was conducted by Kelton on behalf of Allergan to 500 glaucoma patients aged 40+ living in the U.S., with a margin of error of +/-4.4% and 100 physicians aged 18+ living in the U.S., with a margin of error of +/- 9.8%. Both patients and physicians were compensated.