A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
Cookies may be either "persistent" cookies or "session" cookies: a persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiration date, unless deleted by the user before that date; a session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
Cookies That We Use
Cookies can be used to recognize you when you visit BrightFocus Foundation, remember your preferences, and give you a personalized experience that’s in line with your settings. Cookies also make your interactions with the site faster and more secure. Additionally, cookies allow us to bring you advertising both on and off the BrightFocus Foundation, and bring customized features to you through plugins such as our “Share” button.
Categories of Use
If you’re signed in to BrightFocus Foundation, cookies help us show you the right information and personalize your experience.
Preferences, features and services
Performance, Analytics and Research
We use a variety of services to allow us to serve relevant advertising to our users and to report on campaign performance, including Google/DoubleClick, NextRoll, Facebook Advertising, Bing, and Yahoo.
- View Bing’s policies: https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement;
- View Facebook’s policies: https://www.facebook.com/policy.php;
- View Google’s policies (including DoubleClick): https://policies.google.com/technologies/ads;
- View NextRoll’s policies: https://www.nextroll.com/privacy;
- View Twitter's policies: https://twitter.com/en/privacy
- View Yahoo’s policies: https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/index.html.
Some advertising platforms place their own third-party cookies to optimize your experience:
Double the Donation
We use Double the Donation to allow donors to look up whether their workplace offers matching gifts. You can visit Double the Donation's website at https://doublethedonation.com/privacy-policy.
Guidestar (by Candid)
IAB Europe Transparency & Consent Framework
From time to time, we may use different cookies to track website usage, protect ourselves from fraud, or display ads. You can check these cookies at any time via your browser.
Managing Cookies and Preferences/Privacy Settings
If you wish, you can usually adjust your browser so that your computer does not accept cookies:
- Go to the heading "Manage Cookies" and click onto the option you prefer, either stopping cookies being installed, or notifying you of them;
- From the list provided, click onto the program which your computer uses; if this is not shown on the list, click on the "help" heading on the bar at the top of this page, search for information on "cookies" − an explanation of how to delete cookies will appear, then follow the instructions.
Alternatively, you can adjust your browser to tell you when a website tries to put a cookie on your computer.
How you adjust your browser to stop it accepting cookies or to notify you of them, will depend on the type of internet browser program your computer uses. You can follow the appropriate instructions for your specific browser type by clicking on the links below (please note that this link will open a new window and will lead to an external website and that we are not responsible for the content of external websites).
How to Disable Third Party Cookies
Users based in the European Union can opt out of these third party cookies. This website is not connected to us and we are not responsible for its content. We only keep cookies for the duration of your visit to our Site, except in the case of cookies which remember you for future visits or where you save your login name as referred to above.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies and to delete cookies. The methods for doing so vary from browser to browser, and from version to version. You can however obtain up-to-date information about blocking and deleting cookies via these links:
- Edge: https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-microsoft-edge-and-privacy
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
- Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- Opera: http://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/security/cookies/
- Safari: https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/manage-cookies-and-website-data-sfri11471/mac
To find out how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org, or www.aboutcookies.org.
Blocking all cookies will have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites, and you will not be able to use all the features on our website.
This website is owned and operated by BrightFocus Foundation.
Our address is:
22512 Gateway Center Drive
Clarksburg, MD, 20817
You can contact us:
- by mail, at the postal address given above;
- by telephone, at 1-800-437-2423; or
- by email, at firstname.lastname@example.org.