Focus on Eye Health: A National Summit
BrightFocus Foundation was a Gold Sponsor for the Focus on Eye Health Summit that was hosted by Prevent Blindness on June 18, 2014.
A new report was released at the Summit by Prevent Blindness projecting the potential burden and economic impact of vision problems into the future. The study expanded on previous Prevent Blindness studies:
- Vision Problems in the U.S
- Cost of Vision Problems: The Economic Burden of Vision Loss and Eye Disorders in the United States.
Date: June 18, 2014
Time: 8:30am – 3:00 pm (Registration and breakfast begins at 7:30am)
Location: National Press Club 529 14th Street, NW Washington, DC 20045
The Summit included a variety of presentations related to this year’s theme of conditions/issues that co-exist with vision problems. Presentations included::
- Forecasting the Prevalence and Cost of Vision Loss and Eye Disorders– John Wittenborn, NORC at the University of Chicago
- Overview of Multiple Chronic Conditions – John Crews, DPA, Vision Health Initiative, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The Impact of Diabetes Among Children on Future Eye Disease – Neil Bressler, MD, Johns Hopkins University
- Smoking and Vision – David Lee, PhD, University of Miami
- Depression and Vision – Alan Morse, JD, PhD, Lighthouse Guild International
- Children’s Vision: A Population Perspective – Panel members include David Musch, PhD, MPH and Joshua Stein, MD, MS, University of Michigan; Richard Bunner, MA, retired from the Ohio Department of Health; Alex Kemper, MD, MPH, MS, Duke University; Sandra Block, OD, MEd, Illinois College of Optometry; Rachel Schumann, PhD, RN, Michigan Department of Community Health
- Reducing the Impact of Diabetic Eye Disease – Panel members include Lori Grover, OD, PhD, Arizona State University and Neil Bressler, MD, Johns Hopkins University
- Turning the Tide – Can Public Policy Curb the Growing Impact of Vision Problems?
Attendees included patient advocates, community-based organizations, national vision and eye health organizations, government agencies, and policymakers.
AMD Alliance International
The EyeSight Foundation of Alabama
Lighthouse Guild International
National Center for Children’s Vision and Eye Health
Transitions Healthy Sight for Life Fund
The Vision Council
Alliance for Aging Research
Alliance for Eye and Vision Research
Foundation Fighting Blindness
Vision 2020 USA