Content Usage Policy
The "pages" or documents on the Site, or portions thereof, including but not limited to all text, graphics, software, and other files, as well as their selection and arrangement, (collectively, the "Content") are the property of BrightFocus. Copyright © 2000 - 2014, BrightFocus Foundation. All rights are reserved. All Content is presented as a service and may not be copied, distributed, republished, framed, licensed, sublicensed, downloaded, displayed, posted, sold, resold, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, in whole or in part, without BrightFocus' prior written permission, except that such Content may be viewed, downloaded, printed and distributed subject to the following conditions:
- The content may only be used for informational, noncommercial purposes.
- Any copy of the content or portion thereof must include the following copyright notice: "Copyright © 2000 - 2014 BrightFocus Foundation. All rights reserved.” and must retain all other proprietary notices.
- BrightFocus shall have the right to revoke such authorization at any time, and any such use shall be discontinued by you upon notice from BrightFocus.
Any other use of the Content from the Site without BrightFocus' prior written authorization is prohibited. Any breach of the conditions herein will automatically terminate your permission to use the Site and its Content. To obtain written consent, please contact email@example.com.
BrightFocus' trademarks and service marks (collectively “the Marks) include, but are not limited to the following:
- ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE RESEARCH
- ALZHEIMER'S DON'T FEAR IT. FIGHT IT!
- ALZHEIMER'S FAMILY RELIEF PROGRAM
- AMERICAN HEALTH ASSISTANCE FOUNDATION
- BRIGHTFOCUS FOUNDATION
- CHILDREN'S CORNER
- COMPASSION FOR TODAY- A CURE FOR TOMORROW
- CURE IN MIND. CURE IN SIGHT.
- IT'S NOT JUST FORGETFULNESS - IT'S ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE
- MACULAR DEGENERATION RESEARCH
- NATIONAL GLAUCOMA RESEARCH
- NATIONAL HEART FOUNDATION
- ONLY THROUGH RESEARCH WILL A CURE BE FOUND
- SEE A BETTER TOMORROW
- STEM CELL RESEARCH FOUNDATION
- WALKWAY OF HOPE
The Marks may not be used or imitated, in or whole or in part, without BrightFocus' prior written authorization. In addition all page headers, custom graphics, button icons and scripts are the trademarks, service marks, or trade dress of BrightFocus, and may not be used or imitated without BrightFocus' prior written authorization.
Agreement Regarding Proprietary Rights
You agree that you will not infringe upon any copyright, trademark, service mark or other proprietary right of BrightFocus or its partners or affiliates, that you will not copy the Site in whole or in part except as expressly authorized herein, and that you will not decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or create derivative works of the Content or any work or software or other products or processes accessed through or on the Site. You further agree not to access or provide access to the Site by means other than the interface provided by BrightFocus for use in accessing the Site, and not to use any data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction methods in connection with the Site. You agree to immediately cease and desist any and all uses of BrightFocus Marks, Content or other proprietary material upon request by BrightFocus.
- Not to disrupt or interfere with the security of, or otherwise cause harm to, the Site, or any services, system resources, accounts, passwords, servers, or networks connected to or accessible through the Site or affiliated or linked sites;
- Not to disrupt or interfere with any other user's enjoyment of the Site or affiliated or linked sites;
- Not to upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available through the Site any message, data, information, text or other content that is unlawful, inaccurate, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, harassing, threatening, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, sexually or adult oriented, inflammatory, promotes hate or racism, or is otherwise objectionable as BrightFocus may in its discretion determine;
- Not to upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available through the Site any content that would constitute or encourage a criminal offense, violate any intellectual property or other proprietary right of any party, or otherwise create liability for any person or violate any local, state, national or international law, treaty, compact or regulation;
- Not to upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available through the Site any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes” or any other form of solicitation;
- Not to upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available through the Site any virus or other harmful, disruptive, malicious or destructive file;
- Not to create a false identity, including but not limited to the use of a pseudonym, impersonation of any person or entity, or misrepresentation of your affiliation with a person or entity, past or present;
- Not to upload, post, email, transmit or make available through the Site any content with the intent or the effect of harassing another user of the Site;
- Not to forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any communication transmitted through this website; and
- Not to collect or store personal data about other users.
You acknowledge that BrightFocus and its designees shall have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse, move, edit or delete any content available via this Site. BrightFocus and its designees shall have the right to remove any content from the Site regardless of whether the content violates these Site Terms. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of such content.
You agree that BrightFocus may preserve content of the Site and may also disclose content if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce these Site Terms; (c) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third-parties; or (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of BrightFocus, its users and the public.
By using the Site, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless BrightFocus, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, partners, directors, employees, agents and suppliers from any claim, demand, action or damage, including reasonable attorney's fees, made or incurred by any third party arising out of or related to your use of the Site, any content you transmit via the Site, or your violation of the Site Terms.
No Medical Advice
This Site is not intended for rendering or obtaining medical advice. By using this Site, you agree that you have read and acknowledge the Medical Disclaimer.
Linking and Third Party Content
By using the Site, you agree that you have read and acknowledge the terms of BrightFocus' Linking Policy.
Communications with BrightFocus and User Submissions
By submitting communication or content to any part of the Site where such content would be viewable by the public (e.g. posting on a public forum/bulletin board or public chat or other public communication), you agree that such submission is non-confidential for all purposes. Any submission to this Site shall be deemed and remain the property of BrightFocus. You grant or warrant that the owner of such content has expressly granted BrightFocus a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, world-wide nonexclusive license to use, reproduce, create derivative works from, modify, publish, edit, translate, distribute, perform and display the communication or content in any media or medium, in any form, format, or forum now known or hereafter developed
Changes to These Site Terms
BrightFocus may change these Site Terms from time to time, and reserves the right to do so. We need not inform you of changes to the Site Terms. Your use of the Site after we have posted any change to the Site Terms constitutes your acceptance of any such change.
Changes to the Site
At any time, BrightFocus reserves the right to modify, update, or discontinue the Site (or any part thereof) with or without notice. You agree that BrightFocus shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Site.
General Practices Regarding Use and Storage
You acknowledge that BrightFocus may establish general practices and limits concerning use of the BrightFocus Site, including without limitation the maximum number of days that email messages, message board postings or other uploaded content is retained by the Site. The maximum number of emails that can be sent or received by an account, the maximum disk space allotted on servers for an account, and the maximum duration for which an account can be accessed in a given period of time. You acknowledge that BrightFocus has no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store any messages and other communications or other content maintained or transmitted by the BrightFocus Site servers. You acknowledge BrightFocus has the right to log off accounts that are inactive for an extended period of time. You further acknowledge that BrightFocus reserves the right to change these general practices at any time with or without notice.
Disclaimer of Warranties
THE MATERIALS ON THIS SITE ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITH NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, CURRENCY, RELIABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL BRIGHTFOCUS OR ITS DESIGNEES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF INFORMATION) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE OR ACCESS ITS CONTENT. BrightFocus DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SITE OR SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE OR THAT DEFECTS IN THE SITE OR CONTENT WILL BE CORRECTED. BrightFocus ALSO MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THESE PAGES, OR THE SERVER THAT PROVIDES THEM, ARE FREE OF COMPUTER VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL ELEMENTS, AND SUCH WARRANTIES ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED.
By using this Site, you agree that you have read and acknowledge the terms of the Liability Statement, including the Disclaimer of Warranties and the Limitation of Liability.
Limitation of Liability
You agree that you will hold harmless BrightFocus and its officers, directors, employees, agents and volunteers from any and all claims, demands, actions, costs, liabilities, losses and damages of any kind resulting from or related to your access or use of, or your inability to access or use, this Site or Content contained in this Site or other websites to which it is linked.
This Limitation of Liability includes, but is not limited to, information or materials viewed or downloaded from this Site or another website to which it is linked that appear to you or are construed by you to be obscene, offensive, defamatory or that infringe upon your intellectual property rights. In no event will BrightFocus or the contributors of information to this Site be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you in reliance on such information or for any consequential, special or similar damages even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
This Agreement and Site Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Maryland, U.S.A. without giving effect to conflict of laws provisions. You hereby irrevocably and unconditionally consent to submit to venue, personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts within the State of Maryland, U.S.A for any litigation or disputes arising out of or relating to use of this Site and not to commence any litigation relating thereto except in such courts. You agree that any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to these Site Terms or to any Site use must commence within one year after the claim or cause of action arose; otherwise such claim or cause of action is permanently barred, regardless of any statute of limitations to the contrary.
BrightFocus reserves the right to terminate your license to use the Site, and to block, suspend, or otherwise prevent your future access to and use of the Site, with or without notice to you, for breach of these Site Terms or any other reason within BrightFocus' sole discretion. You agree that BrightFocus shall not be liable for any termination of your use of or access to the Site, or for any harm caused thereby. In the event of any termination of the Site Terms or your use of or access to the Site, you agree that the all of the other provisions in these Site Terms shall survive any such termination.
The Site is controlled, operated and administered by BrightFocus from its offices within the United States. BrightFocus makes no representation that the materials or content available through the Site are appropriate or available for use at other locations outside the United States and access to them from territories where their content is illegal or is prohibited. You may not use the Site or export the content in violation of United States export laws and regulations. If you access the Site from a location outside the United States, you are responsible for compliance with all local laws.
Should any provision in these Site Terms be found invalid or unenforceable for any reason, then that provision shall be enforced to the maximum extent possible so as to give effect to the intent of the parties as reflected by that provision, shall be deemed severable from these Site Terms, and shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions. Any failure by BrightFocus to enforce or exercise any provision of the Site Terms or related right shall not constitute a waiver of that right or provision. The section titles used in the Site Terms are purely for convenience and carry with them no legal or contractual effect.
Last Review: 01/22/14