Join the Team
We at the BrightFocus Foundation are committed to our ongoing mission of helping those affected by Alzheimer's disease, age-related macular degeneration and glaucoma. We offer support and assistance to people with these diseases, as well as the loved ones caring for them. We are also dedicated to raising public awareness and the search for a cure.
Our team members bring a wide variety of talent and skills to the organization. If you seek a fulfilling career that directly affects peoples' lives, BrightFocus is the right place for you.
Position Title: Health and Science Writer
Supervisor: Vice President of Public Affairs
Date: October 2013
BrightFocus Foundation is a nonprofit organization supporting research and providing public education to help eradicate brain and eye diseases, including Alzheimer's disease, macular degeneration, and glaucoma. For 40 years we have raised and contributed private funds to underwrite work by scientists and scientific institutions across the United States and abroad. Headquartered in northern Montgomery County, MD, with a staff of some 40 professionals, we are working to save mind and sight.
The Health and Science Writer will be part of the six-member BrightFocus Public Affairs team and will be a generator of content that clearly and concisely communicates to lay audiences information on BrightFocus' efforts to prevent and treat Alzheimer's disease, macular degeneration, and glaucoma. The position will help advance a deeper public understanding of science, one that raises BrightFocus’ national profile, supports its fundraising and grant making, and puts the organization on a path to influence policy and collaborate with others in the fight to conquer diseases affecting mind and sight.
- Regularly author new health and science-based content for BrightFocus, including materials for web site and social media platforms.
- Assist the Communications Manager on writing, editing, and updating BrightFocus publications, working closely with internal colleagues and outside vendors.
- Follow and report on research developed within the BrightFocus Foundation’s $130 million research grant portfolio, as well as mission-related research in other venues.
- Maintain strong working knowledge of internal database of key statistics cited in BrightFocus documents.
- Assist other on non-written products, including audio or video materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; Masters preferred.
- Minimum of five years of success in substantive writing for public audiences in settings such as journalism or public relations. Experience in science or health care strongly preferred.
- Ability to work well on multiple projects simultaneously, with strict adherence to deadlines.
- Knowledge of the environments in which scientific and health care research is conducted, supported, and disseminated.
- Strong and broad computer software skills.
- Familiarity with audio and video products.
- Strong track record as a team player, working collaboratively across departments or organizations.
- Commitment to the mission and values of BrightFocus.
BrightFocus Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome interest and applications from people of color, people with disabilities and from LGBT communities.
Please send cover letter, resume, and three writing samples to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Last Review: 10/10/13