Join the Team
We at the BrightFocus Foundation are committed to our ongoing mission of helping those affected by Alzheimer's disease, age-related macular degeneration and glaucoma. We offer support and assistance to people with these diseases, as well as the loved ones caring for them. We are also dedicated to raising public awareness and the search for a cure.
Our team members bring a wide variety of talent and skills to the organization. If you seek a fulfilling career that directly affects peoples' lives, BrightFocus is the right place for you.
Current Employment Opportunties
Major Gifts Officer
(Reports to Senior Director, Major and Planned Gifts)
Summary of Position
The Gifts Officer will have strong fundraising skills with a track record of securing gifts in the five-figure range preferably within the health sector from individuals. He/she will be a self-starter by nature, with a resourceful and entrepreneurial spirit and a high comfort level with donors. This person is detail-oriented, possesses excellent written and oral communication skills, and is able to handle multiple priorities.
He/she understands how achievement of fundraising goals and metrics is a reflection of time and resource allocations, as well as the ability to connect with and understand donor motivations for giving. The successful candidate will be experienced in prospect research, moves management, arranging and executing timely cultivation visits, as well as developing proposals and materials for prospects.
Duties, Responsibilities and Functions
- Become acquainted with a minimum of 200-250 individuals with the capacity to give a major gift.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit prospects.
- Steward new and existing donors.
- Handle details of cultivation events.
- Contact major donors through phone calls and visits (local and nationwide) as required.
- Work with department prospect researcher to identify appropriate prospects and create outreach strategy.
- Independently manage travel details and planning.
- Ability to partner and collaborate with staff at all levels.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years development or related experience
- Proven track record of cultivating, soliciting, and closing major gifts
- Comfortable with regularly making cold calls to schedule appointments
- Significant local and nationwide travel required
- Familiarity with planned giving desirable
- Professional demeanor
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
About BrightFocus Foundation
BrightFocus Foundation is a nonprofit organization supporting research and providing public education to help eradicate brain and eye diseases, including Alzheimer's disease, macular degeneration, and glaucoma. For 40 years we have raised and contributed private funds to underwrite work by scientists and scientific institutions across the United States and abroad. Headquartered in northern Montgomery County, MD, with a staff of some 40 professionals, we are working to save mind and sight.
Please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Last Review: 06/18/14